Norway. A country of endless, oil-tinged riches, beautiful Nordic peoples, postcard-worthy landscapes 'round every bend, and the breathtaking, Mother-Nature-made skyscraper known as Pulpit Rock, or Preikestolen in Norwegian. In Forsand, Ryfylke, fifteen miles from Norway's fourth largest city of Stavanger, the 10,000-year-old cliff rises from the winding waters of Lysefjord like a really massive 82' x 82' flat-topped beast made of earthen minerals and particulates.
Pulpit Rock attracts 150,000 to 200,000 visitors per year, but hopefully not too many at one time because standing shoulder-to-shoulder with a gaggle of tourists on a 1,982-foot tall rock with no guardrails doesn't sound like a particularly appealing bucket list activity.
Pulpit Rock: Famous Last Words
If while visiting Pulpit Rock you hear someone make any of the following comments, either gear up to be a hero, or brace yourself for a very unfortunate turn of events.
- I can navigate this place with my eyes closed.
- Just pretend to jump off while I take a picture.
- Yeah, my optometrist said she's never seen someone with such poor depth perception.
- Whoa, dude, I think I'm still drunk from last night.
- I came here because I met an ostrich during my travels who offered to be my spirit guide. When I told him my dream has always been to take flight, he had me eat a fistful of earthworms to prove my soul is worthy, and then he gave up his ability to soar, passing it along to me during a midnight ceremony under a lemon tree. I know it worked because I saw him the next day getting chased by a warthog and he could no longer leave the ground. Today, I will leave the ground.
- Pulpit Rock Fast Facts: http://www.ryfylke.com/en/Product/?TLp=33967
- Hotels Near Pulpit Rock: http://www.fjordtours.com/en/destinations/attractions/the-pulpit-rock/#hotels
- Norway Fjord Tours: http://www.fjordtours.com/en/
- Pulpit Rock Hikes: http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/PulpitRock_6680.asp
- Rodne Fjord Cruise - Sightseeing Pulpit Rock & Lysefjord: http://www.regionstavanger.com/en/Product/?TLp=40186
- Preikestolen Mountain Lodge: http://www.preikestolenfjellstue.no/index.php?fo_id=3011
- Pulpit Rock Tower Tours: http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20111105-NEWS-111050333