The Krzywy Domek calls Sopot, Poland--specifically, 53 Bohaterów Monte Cassino St. in lower Sopot--home, and all who visit the Krzywy Domek call it the world's most crooked house. Perhaps fitting, then, that it is predominantly used to conduct business, with most of its rental space let as commercial real estate to companies seeking a spot in the building's umbrella complex, the Rezydent shopping center. Designed by Polish architects Szotyscy & Zaleski, who drew their inspiration for the showstopper from the fairytale illustrations and drawings of Jan Marcin Szancer and Per Dahlberg, the Krzywy Domek's construction completed in in 2004. Today, 43,000+ square feet of warped walls and windows, concave roofs, and architectural glass that look like the reflection of a funhouse mirror await the gaping mouths and camera flashes that pass by and through its doors every day.
Along with Gdynia and Gdansk, Sopot makes up a metropolitan area called the Tricity, known for its shopping, restaurants, and bars, as well as it beautiful urban young people. Those brave enough to enter the fairytale of Krzywy Domek will find all of the above--with more awaiting along the Bohaterów Monte Cassino--known locally as Monciak--walking street.
The Krzywy Domek has a tradition of having those who participate in its cultural events add their names to the building's “Wall of Fame”, the Polish version of the American Hollywood Walk of Fame. In 2009, this quirky attribute was one of many that helped it earn a spot on the list of the 7 Wonders of the Tricity.
The Krzywy Domek: How'd They Do That?
Many of the world's greatest manmade achievements are mysteriously bereft of explanations and background. The Egyptian Pyramids, Stonehenge, McDonald's meat products. Lucky for us, the Krzywy Domek was built in the 21st century, and so comes with contemporary society's version of everlasting cheat sheets: CAD drawings and construction plans. Thanks to these miracles of modernity, we--and future generations into infinity--will always be privy to the secrets of the Krzywy Domek's bends and buckles. And here, for your Internet viewing pleasure, they are:
- Krzywy Domek: http://krzywydomek.info/home-page.html
- Krzywy Domek Virtual Tour: http://krzywydomek.info/guide-to-krzywy-domek/virtual-tour.html
- Krzywy Domek Floor Plans: http://krzywydomek.info/guide-to-krzywy-domek/plan.html
- The Resort Town of Sopot: http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/sopot/The-New-Face-of-Sopot_72341f
- BohaterĂłw Monte Cassino/Monciak Street: http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/sopot/Monciak_70656f
- Sopot Hotels: http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/sopot/hotels
- Tricity Restaurants: http://www.gdansk-life.com/eat/restaurants.php
- Tricity Bars & Clubs: http://www.gdansk-life.com/drink/pubs_cafes.php
- Tricity Shopping: http://www.gdansklife.com/shop/shops.php