Attention voyeurs and exhibitionists! The domiciles in Kakslauttanen Resort's Igloo Village are made of sheer, brilliant glass. OK, mainly so that guests can marvel at the spectral luminescence of Finland's undiluted night skies and northern lights display from the comfort of a comfortably heated, yet crystal clear permutation of the traditional opaque, icy abodes, but...those who like to, er, see and be seen will also find this gaggle of glass igloos in the heart of the Saariselkä fell area's Lapland most rewarding.
After years of research and development, Kakslauttanen opened Igloo Village--the world's first and, as of today, the only of its translucent kind--in 1999. A technological coup, the cozy domes are made from a special thermal glass that ensures interior temperatures remain comfortable, and the glass itself does not frost over, even when temperatures dips below -20 degrees F. Each igloo contains a toilet and luxury beds, with myriad Kakslauttanen amenities elsewhere in and around the Village awaiting when the gazing, snuggling, and slumbering are complete.
In addition to the temperate glass igloos, Igloo Village also has traditional, cold-as-a-well-digger's-a...nkle igloos made of snow for guests to sleep in as shadows from the aurora borealis dance along the bright white walls. Though temperatures in the snow igloos range between 25 and 21 degrees F, Hotel Kakslauttanen promises their extreme-temperature-rated down sleeping bags, plus provided woolen socks and hoods, will combat the chill and make for an unforgettable night, capped off with a sound night's sleep.
During the winter months, Igloo Village Kakslauttanen is rife with activities for couples, families, and groups of friends alike. In addition to the snow igloo sleeping quarters, the resort also has a snow restaurant and a snow chapel for weddings and special events. Sculptors from around the land have contributed to the on-site ice gallery, open both for touring, and for visitors to try their own hands at as or snow sculpting. Perhaps most enticing, though, is Hotel Kakslauttanen's reprieve from the frigid Lapland climate, a smoke sauna big enough to contain its very own restaurant, and boasting the title of largest in the world.
- Kakslauttanen Resort's Igloo Village: http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/resort/igloo-village
- Hotel Kakslauttanen: http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/
- Hotel Kakslauttanen Services: http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/services/
- Other Hotel Kakslauttanen Accommodations: http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/accommodation/
- Finnish Lapland Activities: http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/activities/
- Hotel Kakslauttanen Santa's Resort Family Adventure: http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/resort/santa-s-resort
- Hotel Kakslauttanen Wedding Services: http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/weddings/
- Contact Hotel Kakslauttanen: http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/contact/