Portillo Ski Resort, perched at 9,500 feet above sea level, is an international destination for snow bunnies and hares out to conquer the dramatic slopes of South America's Andes Mountains. In a near world of its own alongside the icy waters of Laguna del Inca, Portillo resides a mere 100 miles northeast of Santiago in the Valparaiso region of Chile. The resort is an all-inclusive affair, with rates covering lodging, four meals a day in the Main Dining Room, tickets to the area's 12 lifts and 23 ski trails, and access to the grand, canary-yellow domicile's additional fitness and entertainment activities.
Access to Portillo Ski Resort is easiest via road, a two-hour scenic drive from Santiago that dishes views of Mount Aconcagua, the tallest peak in the Americas. Portillo Tours and Travel handles shuttle transfers from the airport and Santiago hotels for guests without their own wheels. Portillo lodging is smart and tidy, with room sizes ranging from doubles to suites to family apartments, and for thriftier travelers, bunk rooms accommodating 4, as well as a hostel-style setting in the Inca Lodge.
Portillo ski season typically runs from July to September, with an average yearly snowfall of 20 feet. Short, intense storms cover the slopes in white powder, after which guests are likely to enjoy sunny days with blazing blue skies. In addition to downhill skiing and snowboarding, the resort provides access to breathtaking Heli-ski excursions even higher up in the powdery slopes.
Portillo Tours and Travel also provides pre- and post-Portillo exploration packages for visitors looking to expand their Chilean experience to areas outside of the resort, including Santiago and wine country, and the beach towns Vina del Mar and Valparaiso.
- Portillo Ski Resort: http://www.skiportillo.com/?lang=en
- Portillo Tours and Travel Shuttle Service: http://www.skiportillo.com/organice-reserve/como-llegar/?lang=en
- Portillo Ski Resort Rooms & Reservations: http://www.skiportillo.com/organice-reserve/alojamiento/?lang=en
- Portillo Ski Resort Heli-Ski Excursions: http://www.skiportillo.com/montana/heli-skiing/?lang=en
- Pre- and Post-Portillo Day Tours: http://www.skiportillo.com/organice-reserve/pre-y-post-portillo-tours/?lang=en